A chain is a metal chain loop and belt is a synthetic compound belt. While you may think chains are stronger and should be preferred, it is not always the case for an application like a bicycle.
- Chains are exposed to natural elements, prone to rusting and breakage
- You need to lubricate a chain regularly
- Although cheaper, a chain is plagued by long term maintenance and breakage
- Belt, on the other hand, is nearly zero maintenance
- Belt has a smoother and quieter power delivery, longevity, lesser weight and almost never drops from a bike
- Blet drive is expensive to buy but the lack of maintenance pays off for it in the long term